'73 CB350 questions

Ask for or give advice / technical help etc. here

'73 CB350 questions

Postby siddo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi Folks,

Apologies if this has been covered before but I've been searching for clarity on a couple of issues without any success.

- what oil can I use in the bike? the user manual says 10W40, but is there any particular brand that you would recommend?
- the user manual mentions that I should only use DOT3 brake fluid, the problem is that I can't find DOT3 anywhere in Port Elizabeth. Would it be possible to
DOT4 without any damaging effects?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers
Craig
siddo

Re: '73 CB350 questions

Postby madgas » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 am

DOT4 brake fluid has a higher boiling point than DOT3, making the fluid less likely to boil. Using cheaper, lower-grade fluid increases the chances of your brakes failing in situations where they build up lots of heat, e.g., driving down a mountain on a twisty road.

More information: http://www.carbibles.com/brake_bible_pg2.html

from : http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/ques ... ake-fluids
madgas

Postby siddo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks Madgas, much appreciated. Guess using DOT4 won't be a problem then...

Anyone have any recommendations of "wet clutch" compatible oil?

Cheers
siddo

Postby Piers H » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:47 am

The Honda CB350 motor needs a quality multigrade oil and it should be changed regularly to ensure the engine is getting clean un contaminated lube. The cam bearings are vulnerable to poor lubrication as the supply is restricted and the cam lobes and rockers only get the oil mist emanating from the supply to the bearings. Modern motorcycle engine specific oils such as Motul semi syn or Belray Thumper oil will work well and are far superior to the oils that were available when your bike was new. Available at bike shops.

I had a CB350 and loved it. The oil pump packed up and I seized the cam. It was an informative rebuild but at least new parts were available from Honda back in 1975.

DOT 4 fluid is simply a superior spec fluid to DOT 3 and will be perfect.

Piers H
Piers H

Return to Advice / help needed