Introduction

New members please introduce yourself and your bikes

Introduction

Postby timneary » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:01 pm

Tim Neary. At around 10 years old two Garelli 50cc arrived in a box and were put into some form of running order and sold to buy a Honda 50cc pushrod model. In around 1969/70 when hanging around Sharwoods Honda in Port Elizabeth we were press-ganged into assembling CKD 50cc bike that came 3 in a crate......well putting in front wheels, seats, connecting wiring and starting the bikes......and for this the princely sum of 50c per bike was paid........ That was a whole R1-50 per afternoon and R2-50 doe a 4 hour stint in the spares on a Saturday and school holidays. Eventually we were allowed to build 500/4 and finally the 750's and riding the bike from the forecourt assembly area to the workshop for PDS was heaven!

Effectively have never been without a bike. Daily ride is a BMW GS1150 and the tribe includes a 1980/81 BMW 100 CS and 1947 Matchless G3l runner, son has a BMW GS1200 and a 1979 BMW R45 he is about to rebuild. Shortly joining back will be an interesting Tiger Cub motor in. Norton Featherbed frame.

We are not club people but we enjoy the fun of rebuilding and tinkering and have been taking part in the annual Century Ride. this year through the kindness of Rob Emms my son rode a 36 Matchless 350cc and I rode a 1926 350cc AJS. A mate rode my 47 Matchless.........and 5 riders between the ages of 26 and 51 who would love to take part.

The interest is a bike from 1956 to rebuild and something around 1940 /42. We would like to see the Century Run grow and prosper and not hear the words "collapsed and cancelled due to lack of support", the historic racing guys are growing and would like to see this do the same........and to see a program in place with those who own het ting their bikes on the road, ridden by those who are not in a position to be owners but still see the combined age of man and machine of 100 years ruling and thus the support and enjoyment growing.

In my day to day life I am an ex diesel fitter who works in, researches and consults to conservation and environmental projects as well as a videographer and radio broadcaster.
timneary

Re: Introduction

Postby KenKZN » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi Tim,
I found your intro a most interesting read....
KenKZN

Return to New Members Please Introduce Yourself