1955 Matchless G80S 500cc Single

New members please introduce yourself and your bikes

1955 Matchless G80S 500cc Single

Postby Dave Holmes » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Hello all - I have just acquired the above bike, and am trying to get some electrics going. The bike came without a headlight, but I have a Norton Navigator headlight which I want to use temporarily, but which has Wipac switches with broken off knobs. Does anyone know how to get the switches open, so that I can remove the knob bits and eventually get replacements? I live in Johannesburg.
Dave Holmes

Re: 1955 Matchless G80S 500cc Single

Postby BobH » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Try going to the Classic Motorcycle Club on the 1sxt Sunday of every month. I am sure they have some AMC headlight shells and Lucas switches.

BobH
BobH

Re: 1955 Matchless G80S 500cc Single

Postby Dave Holmes » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:53 am

Hi Bob H - I did but they don't! - It seems to me that all of the good stuff has gone, but thanks for the contribution. I have now accordingly refurbished and fitted my Norton Navigator light onto the Matchless after first having bought some Wipac switch parts as well as an ammeter. The original speedo is fine. All connections were done with pull-apart connectors so that if I find the right headlight, I can return the Navigator one to the correct bike and get the Matchless original. My biggest problem is getting a seat. The exchange rate is barely bearable but the freight charges from the UK to SA are exorbitant. - Cheers
Dave Holmes

Return to New Members Please Introduce Yourself