Honda CB550 Cafe' racer Project.

Chat, share photographs and information about Classic Motorcycles

Honda CB550 Cafe' racer Project.

Postby Jaya3 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 am

Hi Guys

I Found Honda CB 550, I am excited as I have been looking for this bike for a long time. Perfect platform for a café racer.

This is what it looked like in the heydays

I found her in a rusty old shed, the owner says he drove her into the shed and never took her out in five years. She has a lot of work but at least all the original Parts are there and if push comes to shove, I have a spare motor. In addition, luckily for me the owner kept the licence up to dateJ
However, for now it is cleaning and stripping time.
Last night as I got her. (Sorry for the bad pictures left my Camera at home)

This is what I hope the end project could look like.

Thanks For reading , Comments and suggestions welcome
The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred.
Soichiro Honda
Jaya3

Re: Honda CB550 Cafe' racer Project.

Postby Mr.Paynter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:24 am

Awesome!
Any progress so far? Where are you based if I may ask? I am in Durban and have picked up a ratty '73 CB500 Four which I will be hoping to get back to a decent condition albeit as stock as I can!

I will be following this with great interest! Maybe we can chat about the Hondas and any work you may be getting done and where?

I have just bought my first home so cash will be tighter moving forward and I would LOVE to learn to do more of this myself so any guidance from the more mechanically-minded would be great.
Mr.Paynter

Postby TimDell » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:34 am

Hi guys,

I have been searching for a CB550 for some months now.
I check gumtree and junk mail, etc daily to try and find one in good condition.

I am also looking to restore it if need be but I thought I would ask if you have any suggestions about where I should look and if there is anything I should look out for when buying one?

Thanks!

Tim
TimDell

Postby charlatan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 am

I've bought two 550s off Gumtree in the last 18 months, but they are getting quite scarce. Just keep at it.

As for what to look out for, read up on the SOHC4 forums. There's tons of info there.
charlatan

Return to Classic Motorcycles