Help with transfer of registration: micro-dotting?

Discuss anything about old motorcycles

Help with transfer of registration: micro-dotting?

Postby charlatan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:58 am

Hi

I own a '77 Honda CB550F, and have recently bought a '77 CB550K without papers. Initially, the idea was to use it as a parts bike, but after thinking about it, it's too nice to chop up (original 4-into-4 exhausts!), so now I'm trying to get it registered in my name.

As far as I know, the procedure is to get an affidavit from the seller, stating that the original (registered) owner + papers cannot be found (he's left the country); then we need an RPC form to take it for police clearance, which now requires micro-dotting, and there lies my question: If I'm going to restore the bike, every inch of it is going to be sand/soda blasted, stripped and repainted, so it seems pointless to have to apply microdots in this case?

It seems the bike will require police clearance whether I scrap it or keep it on the road during restoration. Anyone have a similar experience / advice?

charlatan

Re: Help with transfer of registration: micro-dotting?

Postby webster » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Charlaten,
Nice looking bike BTW!!> Take a look at http://bizco.co.za/micro-dots-promise-t ... cle-theft/
May answer a couple of your questions.
Webster
webster

Postby charlatan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks, interesting read, though no real answers there.

I went to the MVR office in the civic centre to get the RPC today, and explained the catch-22 to the guy at the information counter. After the usual "but how can you sell a vehicle with no papers" cr@p, he suggested that I only register it in 2 years time once restoration is complete. Not ideal - I'd incur fines for the expired license and also run the risk of spending on the restoration and then having registration fall through on a technicality at the end.

Looks like I'll just have to go ahead and get the microdots & police clearance. Will check with them about the legality of stripping the dots...
charlatan

Postby siddo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi Charlatan,

Sorry for the hi-jack but I'm in a similar position. Interested in a '73 CB350 - it has no papers, no registration number or number plate etc etc. Do you have any further feedback to add to you experience thus far?

Out of interest, how could one find out if a bike has already been scrapped? Is the whole process of scrapping and registering an expensive exercise?

Sorry again for the hi-jacked thread.

Cheers
Craig
siddo

Postby charlatan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm sitting on it for the moment... bought a '80 CX500 which I'm busy transferring.

I did have a few other conversations with officers at Police Clearance depts in both Stikland & Bellville, and there's no way around the microdotting. I did take a surprising amount of flak for buying it without papers... but in the end they calmed down once I explained that it's old & I intend to restore it. The fact that mine still had a license plate also seemed to count in it's favour, silly as it may seem. If you had a license number, it would be easy to phone the motor vehicle registration department and check when the license expired. I would give them a call and see if they can give you any info on the VIN (chassis no.)

Next steps for me would be to rent a trailer to take it for dotting & clearance.
charlatan

Postby siddo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Great stuff, thank you for the advice Charlatan. I'll give the dept a call and see what they have to say...my gut is telling to run the other, not sure that the seller is being totally upfront with me.

Cheers and good luck with yours!
siddo

Postby ratrap » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:37 pm

You can run the VIN number to check the current status on the ENatis system if it is still on the system.
Always check the frame number. If it looks anything but 100% original walk away from the bike.
ratrap

Postby siddo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi Ratrap,

Ran the Vin on the bike and it is not longer on the Enatus system? Would you reckon this is a good or a bad thing? Frame number is 100% original...

Thanks for the help
siddo

Postby davew30 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi .
I would like to have my say about trying to register a bike I have built up that was in boxes when I received it as an abandoned Yahaha 250 XT. To cut a long story short the bike was abandoned and the owner never traced . I made inquiries with KZN transport department . I had filled in all the necessary paper work and had a police check only to find that I was not able to register it in my name unless I paid the back license that was last paid in 1992 at a cost of R6000. KZN TD did not have a name or ID of the original owner . On the South African Government Services web site for registering a motor vehicle it stipulates
Your vehicle’s registration becomes null and void if:

the vehicle licence disc has not been renewed for more than four years
the vehicle was involved in an accident and has been declared permanently unfit for use
you sold the vehicle (changed ownership)
your vehicle has been repossessed for more than 31 days
a de registration certificate has been issued.

So according to this ,this motor cycle should have had a de registration certificate issued which would then allow me to register the bike in my name. It is 20 years since it was last licensed . I contacted Verulam KZN where the bike was initially registered and was told the registration number had been reissued to a motor car. So does that indicate that the registration of the bike has been declared null and void.
All this before I need to micro dot the bike. I would say do all the renovations and paper work first then get it micro dotted. m
If any one knows how to push my way to the top of this mountain of bureaucracy so that I might register this bike in my name please advise .
Dave.
Originally from near Manchester . Raced side cars at Local tracks home track Oulton Park.Vincent 100cc factory tuned in a chopped Norton feather bed frame. . In SA raced off road Hare scrambles in KZN and some nationals. Chairman at SCMSC for several years. Road bike Suzuki Katana .
Dave Worth
davew30

Postby charlatan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:04 pm

That's harsh!

davew30 wrote:Hi .
I would say do all the renovations and paper work first then get it micro dotted. m

You can't. If you need police clearance, you need to get it dotted first - no way around it. And don't let anyone tell you it's invisible. It left a horrible mess on my chrome & aluminium parts. :(
charlatan

Next

Return to General